Westlake Island Homes for Sale
Living the dream of a perfect lakefront community is what we hear all the time from Westlake Island homeowners. I am often asked if this is really an island or just a name of a community. Yes, it is an island and a private guard gated community accessed by a bridge where half of the bridge is located in Los Angeles County and the other half in Ventura County. One side of the Island is located in Los Angeles County and the other is located in Ventura County.
There is a manned 24/7 gate so the security is one of the reasons why many choose to live in this highly sought-after community. The lifestyle of having your own boat dock and boat offers one access to a quick cruise around the lake, dinner on your boat or going to one of the three local restaurants that are all lakefront and accessible by boat. Some restaurants will serve you on your boat if you call ahead, making this a very unique dining experience in the heart of the Conejo Valley. The lake is also where residents can go fishing, however, it is catch and release. The lake is known for kayaking and sailing as well as electric boats up to 18’ are allowed as well.
The homes on Westlake Island are some of the highest-priced per square foot in the local area. This is due to the uniqueness of the location with limited land and the gated island.
The homes on Westlake Island vary in price depending on the location and condition of the home. Even a home that would need a total remodel might cost a minimum of $1.5M and there are homes that are in the price range of up to $9M +. The last vacant lot on this exclusive Island sold at $2M. Homes are often sold and torn down and rebuilt, as land is very valuable on the Island. There is truly nothing like this in the area or probably anywhere I can think of in the greater market area.
Homes in this community are located Southeast of Westlake Island and are also waterfront homes, but not located in a gated community. They afford the same lifestyle of having a private dock, enjoying the pleasure of dining on your boat, and access to the three fine, local restaurants by boat.
Also located South of Westlake Island is a community known as Windward shores. Homes here also have their own private boat docks and afford the same luxury of a waterfront lifestyle as any other home located on the beautiful Westlake Lake
This lakefront community is located Southwest of Westlake Island and not all the homes here have lake access. These properties are attached instead of single-family homes. This is a highly desirable community even without lake access as the location is still accessible to the lake and convenient to the lake amenities. There is also a private community pool. Homes in this community vary in price considerably based on location so there are many more options for those who want the lake lifestyle without the higher price.
Located Northeast of Westlake Island is a community of townhomes with some properties located on the water and having their own dock. Other homeowners are lucky enough to have a community dock space or those who don’t would be on a waitlist for this prime space. Homes in the area have a varied range in price all based on the location of the property in proximity to the water. There is also a private beach and walking paths enjoyed by all who live in this community.
Another community with access to Westlake Lake is located on the Northwest side of Westlake Island. The properties are single-level townhomes and some of the properties have direct lake access and their own boat docks. There is a private beach and community pool. The community has beautiful greenbelts and walking paths. There is a community boat dock on a space-available basis.
This community consists of luxury townhomes with some of the properties having a direct lake view however none have direct lake access. The price point will vary depending on the location and view. There is a private dock specifically for Westlake Bay, but the available spaces are often on a waitlist. This community also features a clubhouse and private community pool. This highly desirable location is convenient to the lake, local restaurants, shopping and all this area has to offer.
Homes for Sale on Westlake Island
Welcome to Westlake Island!
Westlake Island is an exclusive guard-gated community nestled in the heart of Southern California’s picturesque Conejo Valley. The community is part of two cities: Thousand Oaks in Ventura County and Westlake Village in Los Angeles County.
Surrounded by the serene waters of Westlake Lake, this highly sought-after neighborhood offers a relaxing lifestyle for residents with its prime location, top-quality community amenities, and picture-perfect setting highlighted by panoramic lake views.
Westlake Island is the perfect choice for anyone looking forward to savoring a luxurious lakefront lifestyle surrounded by gorgeous scenery. Endless recreational opportunities like fishing, boating, and waterfront dining are available in the neighborhood all year round.
If you’re ready to begin the search for your dream home on Westlake Island, you’ve come to the right place! On this page, we offer a detailed overview of this lovely lake community, giving you an insider’s look at the Westlake Island lifestyle including nearby destinations, real estate options, activities to enjoy, and more.
Quick facts about Westlake Island
In case you’re wondering if Westlake Island is actually an “island,” the answer is yes: the community sits on a man-made island in the center of the 125-acre Westlake Lake, which features more than nine miles of shoreline. The private island community is bisected by Los Angeles and Ventura counties and is connected to the mainland by a bridge.
Residents of Westlake Island enjoy unparalleled convenience thanks to the community’s proximity to vibrant amenities and attractions located in Westlake Village Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Agoura Hills, Malibu, and Downtown LA, among others.
Due to the refreshing coastal breeze flowing through the canyons, Westlake Island and its surrounding area can be up to 10 degrees colder compared to nearby San Fernando Valley in the summer.
The Westlake Island area tends to be around ten degrees warmer compared to communities below the Conejo Grade such as Camarillo, Santa Rosa Valley, and Ventura throughout most of the year.
August is typically the warmest month of the year on Westlake Island, with temperatures averaging 71.4°F. The lowest temperatures of the year usually occur during February, when average temperatures reach 53.1°F.
Westlake Island is a quick drive away from the Ventura Freeway (101), the Pacific Coast Highway, and the Ronald Reagan Freeway (118), providing convenient access to Los Angeles, Ventura, and other major destinations.
The community is also served by several bus lines including the Metro Local 161 and Thousand Oaks Transit. In addition, Westlake Village is served by special transportation services such as the Westlake Village Transit which is available for students attending local public schools. Seniors and persons with disabilities can also make use of the Dial-A-Ride service.
Luxury homes for sale on Westlake Island
Westlake Island offers an exceptional lakefront lifestyle that enables you to enjoy privacy, convenience, and excellent community amenities.
If you’re planning to relocate to Westlake Island, you will be able to choose from a selection of gorgeous homes for sale designed to accommodate nearly any type of preference and requirement.
Westlake Island’s real estate market is dominated by custom-built luxury homes, most of which were constructed anywhere between 1967 and 2018. Lot sizes range from 6,000 to 12,000 square feet and larger. You’ll find a variety of elegant architectural styles including Mediterranean Revival, Coastal Italianate, Craftsman, and Contemporary.
Due to Westlake Island’s limited inventory and highly sought-after location, properties here are among some of the highest-priced per square foot in the area.
Popular home features
Westlake Island homes for sale are designed to take full advantage of the community’s unique location. Many homes in the neighborhood have spacious open-floor plans connecting dens and living spaces to exterior features like patios and terraces for seamless indoor-outdoor living. And since the island is literally surrounded by water, many properties also boast private boat docks.
In addition, most homes are equipped with an array of high-end features including designer fixtures and finishes, gourmet kitchens with stainless steel appliances, elegant living and dining rooms, and luxurious primary suites with breathtaking views.
History of Westlake Island at a glance
- The Westlake Lake area was purchased for $2,500 per acre by shipping magnate D.K. Ludwig in the early 60s, back when the area was known as Russell Ranch.
- At the time of Ludwig’s purchase, Potrero Creek flowed along the entire length of the property, often flooding the valley whenever heavy rainfall occurred.
- Some developers considered the property too steep or rugged for real estate development but Ludwig went ahead with his plans. He knew it was only a matter of time before new freeways would connect the area to the largest population center in California, turning it into a prime residential location.
- Construction and development for Westlake Lake started in 1965. Upon completion, the lake had a surface area of approximately 125 acres and an average depth of 10 feet. It was stocked with more than 3,000 blue channel catfish and 3,000 largemouth bass.
- Like many other man-made lakes, Westlake Lake’s ecology was a subject of concern. For this very reason, the University of California at Riverside was tasked to provide scientific advice upon the lake’s completion.
- The exclusive community of Westlake Island is one of Westlake Lake’s most unique features. Proposed as an upscale lakefront community, the island was partially created from materials sourced from the lake site itself.
- Since Westlake Island was divided by the county line, both Los Angeles and Ventura counties required bridge access. After negotiations, development company American-Hawaiian was approved to construct a single bridge right on the county line with specifications matching the differing standards of both counties. American-Hawaiian named the street crossing the bridge “La Venta” in homage to the two counties.
- As a private guard-gated community, Westlake Island manages and maintains all of its streets and amenities through its homeowners association.
Living on Westlake Island
Westlake Island is surrounded by a plethora of superb shopping destinations, perfect for residents looking forward to some well-deserved retail therapy. Some of the best shopping venues you can find in the area include:
Westlake Plaza features a variety of retail and dining experiences in a lush backyard patio-like setting with quaint storefront trellises, expansive paseos, and charming tree-canopied gathering spots.
The Promenade at Westlake is home to a mix of high-end retail boutiques, top-rated restaurants, and vibrant live entertainment venues. This Mediterranean-style 206,000-square-foot shopping center has seven individual structures all connected by meandering walkways surrounded by fountains, patios, and gorgeous landscaping.
Shoppes at Westlake Village features an upscale yet laid-back atmosphere, with elegant Mediterranean Revival architecture and a terrific selection of retail options ranging from popular chains like Target to specialty boutiques like Seasons and Tilly’s. The shopping center also features more than a dozen cafés and restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisine.
Shoppes at Westlake Village hosts many fun events throughout the year including outdoor movie nights, summer sales, arts and crafts festivals, and more.
Whether you’re looking forward to a nice Sunday brunch, a romantic date, or a filling meal with the family, the superb selection of dining venues around Westlake Island is guaranteed to satisfy.
Be sure to check out these amazing restaurants:
The Landing Grill & Sushi Bar offers delightful Asian-inspired fare together with a classic American and continental menu. Nestled along the shores of Westlake Lake, the family-oriented restaurant treats guests to an unforgettable culinary experience where they get to savor excellent food along with stunning views of the lake.
Mediterraneo brings the culinary flair and stylish ambiance of a European bistro to Southern California, making guests feel as though they’re dining at an open-air villa in the Mediterranean.
As the signature restaurant of Westlake Village Inn, Mediterraneo features an extensive menu highlighted by noteworthy dishes including grilled Spanish octopus, mushroom lentil kefte, and a variety of steaks seared to perfection in their kitchen’s state-of-the-art Waldorf Cooking Suite.
Open since 1968, Boccaccio’s is an elegant waterfront restaurant surrounded by stunning views of Westlake Lake and the Santa Monica Mountains. The restaurant serves a classic traditional menu featuring choice steaks, filet mignon, lobster tail, pan-seared duck breast, grilled Atlantic salmon, and other mouthwatering entrees.
Boccaccio’s beautiful lakefront setting, easygoing steakhouse atmosphere, and reputation for exceptional customer service not only make it a prime dining destination, but an ideal venue for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and other special occasions.
Lure Fish House is the place to be if you’re craving top-tier seafood. The family-owned restaurant’s seasonally focused menu features an assortment of classics including ceviche, lobster, mussels, fish tacos, seared fish, fresh or charbroiled oysters, and more, all served with a variety of delicious sides.
Lure Fish House also features a full bar with specialty cocktails and wine from local vineyards, as well as an oyster bar with a variety of fresh items that change daily.
Nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts will definitely love living on Westlake Island. The community offers quick access to a wide assortment of incredible outdoor venues and recreational opportunities.
Here are several spots for you to check out:
- Westlake Island is a stone’s throw away from the majestic 600-acre Triunfo Creek Park which features a vast, enchanting landscape with deep oak woodlands, sweeping native grasslands, and colorful wildflower meadows. The park’s main highlight is the beautiful two-mile Pentachaeta Trail, which climbs along a north-facing slope overlooking Westlake Village and Potrero Valley Creek.
- If you’re looking for a more challenging adventure, the 67-mile Backbone Trail is for you. This scenic long-distance trail passes over the soaring peaks and deep wooded canyons of the Santa Monica Mountains. You’ll be treated to breathtaking views of the Channel Islands, the San Gabriel Mountains, and downtown LA.
- Another popular trail in the Santa Monica Mountains is the Cheeseboro/Palo Comado Canyon, a 10-mile loop trail open to hikers, bikers, and equestrians. You can enjoy a leisurely hike to Sulphur Springs or trek to the top of Simi Peak to enjoy spectacular views of the surrounding landscape.
- Malibu Creek State Park features a well-maintained network of hiking trails ideal for adventurers of all ages. You can explore easy 1.5-mile trail loops like the Crags Road/High Road Loop or short out-and-back trails like Mott Road, which is also popular for novice mountain bikers. If you want to test your mettle, go explore long, steep trails like Bulldog Road or the Mesa Peak Motorway, a 2.5-mile trail climbing along the wall of Malibu Canyon.
The City of Westlake Village is home to seven parks, perfect for Westlake Island residents looking to get some exercise, enjoy the scenery, or spend quality time with friends and family.
Visit the links below for park schedules, features and amenities, and other information:
- Berniece Bennett Park
- Canyon Oaks Park
- Foxfield Park
- Russell Ranch Park
- Three Springs Park
- Westlake Village Community Park
- Westlake Village Dog Park
- Avid golfers can hit the fairways at the Westlake Golf Course, designed in 1967 by renowned course architect Ted Robinson. The entire course measures a total of 5,005 yards from the tips, with a course layout designed to challenge players. Westlake Golf Course also features a range of amenities including a pro shop, practice chipping and putting greens, and a 40-stall lighted driving range.
- Located in Thousand Oaks, CA, Sherwood Lake Club features a collection of some of the best par-3 courses Jack Nicklaus has ever designed. You can enjoy an unforgettable experience at the masterfully sculpted golf course, which has three sets of tees ideal for novices, junior players, and seasoned players.
- Located on the border between Westlake Village and Agoura Hills, the Lake Lindero Golf Course is designed to test every player’s accuracy and strategy. Measuring more than 1,600 yards, this Ted Robinson-designed 9-hole course challenges players as they navigate past ponds and ravines meandering through most of the course.
- Westlake Lake is stocked with a variety of fish including largemouth bass, channel catfish, bluegill sunfish, and minnow-sized silversides. The Westlake Lake Management Association takes special care to protect the lake’s marine life by implementing a strict catch and release policy and requiring the use of artificial bait and barbless hooks.
Currently, Westlake Island also has “Carp Saturdays,” which are open to homeowners and their friends. It’s a community-wide effort to rid the lake of common carp, an invasive species that’s negatively affecting the lake’s ecosystem.
- Westlake Village residents and their guests can join Westlake Lake’s Annual Bass Tournament, held every third Saturday of May. Proceeds from the event go towards the community’s “Kids’ Day at The Docks,” a fun fishing event for kids, held every third Saturday of August.
- Westlake Lake is home to the renowned Westlake Yacht Club (WYC), a private sailing and racing club owned and operated by its members. Established in 1969, the club has an active social calendar filled with a variety of events including the Summer Sailing Academy junior program, monthly sailing regattas, the Annual Round the Island July 4th Sailboat Race, and dinner dances and theme parties throughout the year.
- Many of the best beaches in Southern California are a short drive away from Westlake Island via Kanan Road or the Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Road. Head to Malibu’s Westward Beach for activities like hiking or rock climbing, go snorkeling at El Matador State Beach, or simply relax, enjoy the views, and soak in the sun at Zuma Beach’s wide stretches of sand. If you’re looking to catch a wave, popular surf spots like Topanga Beach and Surfrider Beach are also just minutes away!
Find the best selection of Westlake Island homes for sale with The Pacitto Group
With its idyllic setting and excellent real estate options, Westlake Island is the perfect place to make your dream lakefront lifestyle real.
For more than 30 years, my team and I have provided unparalleled service for buyers and sellers as they navigate Westlake Island’s real estate market. Through our partnership with Sotheby’s International Realty, our team has been able to expand our reach and maintain a wide network, helping our clients achieve their unique real estate goals.
When you work with The Pacitto Group, you’ll have a team of passionate and dedicated professionals at your side, all working towards one goal – to help you get exceptional results. Our experience, in-depth local market expertise, marketing savvy, and top-level negotiation skills have paved the way towards countless successful transactions.
Ready to start your search for the best Westlake Island homes for sale? Get in touch with our team at The Pacitto Group today and take that first step towards finding your dream home in this wonderful community!